Our client is a US healthcare company with a broadly diversified business across consumer, pharmaceutical and medical device segments. They have an annual turnover of US$70 billion, with more than 125,000 employees across 60 countries with a heritage of more than 130 years.
Intern, Design Research (Future Innovation)
Insights & Experience Strategy (IXS)
Who We Are
J&J Design is an internal design team responsible for creating health care solutions that provide value to end users and to the business.
In collaboration with business partners in Consumer, Pharmaceuticals, and Medical Devices all over the world, we apply design thinking to understanding end people’s needs, and to ideate and build desirable health care solutions. Our goal is to deliver on Johnson & Johnson’s mission to profoundly change the trajectory of human health.
We are looking for an Intern to conduct Design Research and work on Insights & Experience Strategy for our Asia Pacific Design Lab located in Singapore. You will have opportunities to make purpose-driven impact with design thinking and design doing, and will learn from other, experienced designers and strategists. We are searching for candidates who demonstrate initiative, growth potential and the desire to lead by example and in accordance with our Johnson & Johnson Credo.
You will work as an intern focused on research and insight generation to support innovation projects.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Conducting secondary, and analogous research (competitive landscapes, design research, academic journal reviews) and organizing this research into usable, visual formats that bring valuable understanding for problem framing, for our teams, and for our partners.
- Facilitating scoping, planning, logistics, and set-up of field research, including designing and delivering screeners and discussion guides.
- Facilitating and conducting primary research activities including ethnographic observations, in-depth interviews, shadowing exercises, guerrilla research, cultural probes, etc.
- Documenting and organizing research in preparation for and as part of data analysis.
- Contributing to the analysis process and the visual development of analytic artifacts: frameworks, patient journeys, personas, mental models, stakeholder maps, and data maps.
- Contributing to insight development, problem- and solution-framing.
- Concepting ideas (depending on skillset).
- Visualizing, prototyping and presenting: ideas, concepts, ideal experiences, scenarios, and service blueprints.
- Planning and creating materials for workshops.
- Facilitating and conducting build-to-learn activities including qualitative design testing, participatory design, and co-creation exercises.
- Helping to activate insights and concepts within our multi-disciplinary teams.
- Contributing to building a strong team culture of high standards of design, trust, reliability, and communication.
- A portfolio of human-centered design projects demonstrating critical thinking, rigor, and creativity
- Strong visual, written, and oral communication skills to execute project briefs
- Ability to generate insights and conduct synthesis that can inspire design teams
- Ability to drive results with initiative, collaboration, resourcefulness, and smart project planning
- If a designer, fluency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Strong candidates will demonstrate excellent coursework / experience in any one (or a combination) of the following:
- Novel, experimental design research / insight-gathering methodologies
- Synthesis / Workshop design / Facilitation
- Fluency in multiple prototyping tools:
- Invision, Axure, Sketch etc.
- Sketching, model-building
- Video, animation
- Business modeling / business strategy
- Data Science (statistics and regression-analysis)
Faculty / Course Preferred:
3rd or 4th year student working toward a Bachelor’s degree in one or more of the following:
Anthropology, Systems Thinking, Systems Engineering, Digital Experience Design, User Experience Design, User Interface Design, Multimedia Design, Software Development, Biomechanical Engineering, Product or Industrial Design, Service Design, Marketing
All candidates should be prepared to showcase previous experience and project work.
Related Company Review:
Type: HR Consulting / Human Resources & Staffing
Pros: Randstad is and always has been a people-first company. Love how they always take care of their staff, and that commitment came through even stronger during the pandemic. In the Singapore office, employees are given hybrid work allowance, Work from Anyway benefits and additional family care leave for employees and singles to care for their loved ones. Leadership is tenured and professional, and are all experts in their own space. Employees are given autonomy to manage their own work, and there are always learning and development opportunities for all levels of staff.
Cons: Not that I can think of, except that perhaps the organisation would need a better IT support system that can support the business' fast growing needs and future transformation demands.
Related Job Searches:
Randstad Pte Ltd Singapore
Intern, Design Research (Future Innovation)
Design / Creative
Manufacturing General / Biomedical / Pharmaceutical