Firmenich is the world’s largest privately-owned company in the fragrance and flavor business
Founded in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1895, we have created many of the world’s best-known perfumes and flavors that billions of consumers enjoy each day.
We are renowned for our world-class research and creativity, as well as its thought leadership in sustainability and exceptional understanding of consumer trends.
Each year, we invest 10% of turnover in R&D, reflecting the continuous desire to understand, share and sublimate the best that nature has to offer.
The purpose of this intern is to support the analytical laboratory works of our flavor division.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the flavor analyst and working alongside her, the intern will be required to maintain assistance to sample preparation and analysis by GC-MS with speed and accuracy. This will include the basic laboratory requirements such as maintaining a clean and orderly laboratory environment and lab equipment.
- Perform analysis of flavor samples and finished food products with the objective of completely identifying the volatile profile and content of the flavoring chemicals within the product
- Perform sample preparation techniques such as solvent extraction, solid phase microextraction (SPME), stir bar sorptive extraction (SBSE) and dynamic headspace (DHS) to extract the flavor out from the samples
- Perform routine maintenance of analytical equipment
- Support in method development and troubleshooting projects
- Learn the operation skill of GC/MS, GC/FID, GC-O and necessary maintenance work for the machines
- Learn the methods for identification and quantification of chemicals using GC/MS and GC/FID
- Learn the advanced sample preparation methods such as SPME, stir bar sorptive extraction and dynamic headspace method
- Learn flavor chemistry and flavor creation process
- Year 3 or 4 Chemistry/Food Science Students
- Passion in Analytical Chemistry and comfortable with working in lab environment
- Well understanding of GC/MS working principles and methods for identification and quantification analysis
- Good communication with ability to work well within a team and across all functions
Continuous learning/mentoring working environment
Period of Work Attachment:
As per academic calendar (Minimum 3 months)
8am to 5pm (Mon – Thu)
8am to 3:30pm (Fri)
(Transport provided two ways)
No. of positions available: 1
Related Job Searches:
Firmenich Asia Pte Ltd
Flavour – Analytical Intern
Sciences / Laboratory / R&D
Manufacturing General / Biomedical / Pharmaceutical