SMEVentures employs an internationally proven buyout model known as the search fund, developed at Harvard and Stanford in 1984, to identify, acquire, and operate SMEs throughout Asia Pacific. We pair talented entrepreneurs with businesses in need of a succession plan, providing reliable continuity and peace of mind for the outgoing business owners, and dreams-come-true for the incoming entrepreneurs.
As a pioneer of the search fund model in Asia Pacific, our team is diverse and our activities are many. SMEVentures’ distributed team comprises management, entrepreneurs, analysts, interns, and freelance contractors, some in Singapore and others working remotely around the globe. Together, we support our entrepreneurs through every step of the search fund process, from researching attractive industries to sourcing opportunities to negotiating deals to assembling boards and managing the acquired companies.
At a time when APAC is facing a family business succession crisis, SMEVentures is importing a proven model to address that problem. This is an exciting opportunity to make an impact at the very frontier of this innovative private equity model.
SMEVentures is hiring an intern analyst with solid business acumen to support these entrepreneurs with high-quality research. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Creatively searching various databases, organization websites, publications, and other sources for businesses in a defined industry and geography
- Screening these businesses against our investment criteria (e.g. size, ownership type, customer segment)
- Employing various tools and creative thinking to identify the name(s) and contact info of the business owner(s)
- Conducting industry-specific research to identify risks and opportunities (e.g. competitors, trends, regulations, and technology risks)
- Cleaning and completing large datasets
- Identifying LinkedIn profiles that meet our selection criteria
- Maintaining a clean and complete CRM
- Publishing (not writing) blog and social media posts
- Managing and training other interns or contractors as needed
- Meeting tight deadlines to ensure a full pipeline of leads for the entrepreneurs
- Attending regular meetings and reporting daily to the SMEVentures team
SMEVentures may be the right place for you if you meet the following description:
- You have an interest in and a fundamental understanding of business analysis and markets.
- You derive a sense of accomplishment from efficiently producing large quantities of work daily.
- You are a clear and collaborative communicator.
- You have an interest in entrepreneurial endeavors.
- You enjoy working with scrappy, we’ll-find-a-way entrepreneurs.
- You are comfortable with basic productivity software (e.g. GSuite, Word, Excel, Pipedrive, Asana).
- You have a strong, reliable internet connection and a quiet place to work when not meeting with the team.
- You are a native speaker of English.
Hours: 9am-5pm M-F (flexible)
Location: Our team is distributed, and this is a semi-virtual internship. Communication is mostly via video call, though in-person meetings will be held in Singapore up to 3 times per week.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.