YMF Investments (Singapore) consulting arm is looking for an intern based in Singapore to work on a consulting project for Opportunity International Australia. This role will be managed by YMF Investments, however effectively will be a secondment to Opportunity International Australia (Opportunity).
Opportunity is a non-profit organisation that relies on the great work their volunteer and intern team carries out. This is a role that will provide the successful applicant with a wonderful learning opportunity. No employment relationship will be created between YMF Investments or Opportunity and the successful applicant.
Opportunity International Australia gives families the tools they need to work their way out of poverty, live safe and healthy lives, send their children to school, and create a new future for generations to come.
SOCIAL PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT - THE PROGRAM
Social Performance Management (SPM) is defined as the effective translation of an institution's mission into practice in line with accepted social values. The objective of the program is to continuously see improving outcomes for clients, made possible through the use of consistent and comprehensive social data as well as implementing and maintaining best practices in serving our clients. Such information allows Opportunity and our local partners to better understand, improve and reflect on our social performance. Please go to our website spm.opportunity.org or read our 2015 Social Performance Report and 2016 Social Performance Update for more details about the program.
This role will assist Opportunity’s Social Performance Management team in data management, analysis, reporting and research. This will be a multitasking role which will include tasks around industry research, knowledge management, data analysis, reporting and building communication materials to promote and share the program’s progress and results. As a team we work on a global program to help our partners measure their performance and implement changes to improve the outreach and services that they provide to people living in poverty. Ultimately, our work helps Opportunity and our partners better serve families in poverty.
This role offers the opportunity to develop analytical and communication skills while also gaining hands-on experience in research, data analysis and international development particularly in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of No Poverty and Climate Action.
- Assist the team in the analysis, aggregation and management of social data from our partners
- Assist the team with desk research in carrying out a climate audit to assess vulnerability to climate change across the countries and communities we serve
- Support the team in ad hoc and administrative tasks, as well as work for other departments
- Support the team in writing presentations and reports that will help us in promoting the program
- Assist with the recruitment and training of the next SPM Data and Research Intern
The intern will have the opportunity to attend regular meetings with the SPM team as well as remotely join staff meetings and training with interns from other departments.
- Commitment to work, at least 2-3 days a week over a period of 18-26 weeks
- At least 1 day a week from our Bugis office (option of remaining days in office or remote)
- Requires own laptop, with Microsoft Office (+ own internet if working from home or remote)
- Tertiary qualification completed or in-progress (2nd year or above) in finance, economics, business, international development or related field is essential
Experience and skills
- Self-motivated individual with analytical mindset
- Confident communicator with clear written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to research topics and write high-quality reports in English
- Experience in visualisation and reporting of data
- Competent in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Experience in Tableau a plus
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise, manage workload and work efficiently and autonomously
- Well organised and results-driven with a meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team liaising with international colleagues
- Flexible, can-do attitude and willingness to learn and help wherever is needed on a variety of tasks
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
Interns will be selected based on the intern selection committee’s judgement of best suitability to:
- Commitment to the core values and aims of Opportunity
- Skills suitability (as per the application requirements)
- Commitment to the internship program
- Passion for helping families out of poverty through microfinance
- Compassionate, flexible and cooperative
- Cultural fit with the Opportunity team
Allowance: $130 - $430 monthly.
Opportunity is a child safe organisation. The successful candidate will be required to adhere to our Child Protection Policy. Opportunity is committed to maintaining an inclusive workplace that values people’s differences and provides opportunities/provisions for all staff to achieve their full potential. We encourage people with disabilities and people from other diverse backgrounds to apply.