IN A NUTSHELL
Today in Southeast Asia, 50% of small & medium businesses (SMEs) don't have access to credit because banks do not make enough profit on small size loans. Over here at Aspire, we aim to fill that massive gap by providing loans to SMEs in the region while also assessing the credit risks of borrowers via our proprietary risk modelling engine, which helps us to disburse loans within 24 hours to applicants. We strongly believe in the future of automation & machine learning and we seek to harness its' potential to help us evaluate the risk of borrowers to its highest degree of accuracy.
Aspire is reinventing banking for 39M MSMEs in Southeast Asia - 10x more than US - underserved by banks. Aspire processes SMEs trade data and digital footprint via more than 30 data sources to make credit decisions and it is committed to driving productive economic growth in emerging markets.
Founded in January 2018, we have since raised over US$9 million during our seeding round in early 2018, which includes investors such as Y-Combinator (a US-based seed accelerator that has invested in startups such as Dropbox, Airbnb and Reddit) and Insignia Ventures. Aspire’s cofounders were part of Lazada founding team and it’s team brings together talent from more than 10 nationalities.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for one AAA candidate that is able to handle great responsibility in driving the legal strategy for the venture. The role could evolve over time and take additional responsibilities in other countries or rotate in other department to obtain a full understanding of a fast growing internet startup.
As the operations of the business started in January 2018, this is an unique opportunity to build a well funded internet company from day one as early stage employee working directly with the founders. You can have a massive impact on the hyper growth of company during its first year of operation.
- Draft agreements according to local regulation
- Guide strategy of the venture based on sound legal rationale
- Maintain compliance frameworks
- Draft internal legal memos regarding upcoming regulatory landscape
- Handle a variety of general corporate legal matters
- Able to commit for at least 6 months
- Passion for the internet and start-up industry
- Positive attitude, consultative approach and self-motivation are all essential
- Highest work ethic and unlimited drive
- 100% execution-minded, hands-on approach
- High sense of urgency
- Strong interpersonal and social skills
- Strong analytical, structured problem-solving and communication skills
- Previous experience in Banking & Finance, Financial Services Regulatory is a plus
- University exchange programs are welcome
- Fluency in language of ASEAN country in addition to English is a plus